Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Games: Recommendations

Okay, this post is for Apple. Hmmm, what to recommend? What I used to play or been playing, either at cyber cafe or at home cuz my lau yar comp can't support.

I'm sure you've heard of them before so I won't go too detail with em:

1) Ragnarok Online (RO).
RO is a hack and slash, massive multiplayer online role-playing game. I'm going to go with a "pros and cons" with this game.

Pros:
- cute characters that you can create and accessories.
- a number of job classes for you to choose.
- interesting skills.
- a lot of weapons. Upgradable.
- cute and interesting monsters. Can catch them and keep them as pets.
- vast map area to explore.
- interacting with other players. Form parties and guilds.
- won't really die. If you die, you would be resurrected at your last save point.
You only lose your experience point.
- interesting back story. Basic back story is based on Norse mythology and the Korean manga.
- easy controls and customisable hot keys.
- highly addictive.

Cons:
- At times get too laggy.
- too many bots.
- the stupid economy.
- stuck up players.
- the Engrish.
- beggars and leechers "Give me zeny! Ress pls! Heal pls! Tank me pls! AB pls!"
- Have to pay to play. You need to setup an account, and you can either top up daily, weekly or monthly. Not too bad lah. Affordable. But still, need to pay. :P
- Depending on the path/job you choose, can be a hell to level up. Like my Acolyte to Monk.... T___T taking forever!
- No real "game" to beat. Reduced to a level up race among players. Boss monsters that you've killed would respawn after an hour.
- Highly addictive.

Added personal opinions: Best played with people you know or you've met in the game. Stick to a few friends and party together. I met some really great friends in here but our "playing schedule" usually is not on the same page, hence most of the time I end up playing alone T__T. Give it a try. If you do, join English version "Iris1" server and look me up. My nick: kawa_r

Malaysia's Official RO site: http://ro.gameflier.com.my/

2) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
Hohoho... fun fun fun! You get to do things that you can't (either by conscience or because of the law :P) like stealing cars and use em to run down pedestrians. Of course, cops would be on your tail but you can still get away with it. Old lady? Who the hell cares, run her down! Not dead yet? Back up the car XD !

Lau yar comp can't support it so I used to play in cyber cafes. Haven't tried GTA:San Andreas yet.

3) Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of World War 2/Battlefield: Vietnam

What makes this First Person Shooter different than the others is that you get to drive/pilot vehicles like planes, battleships, jeeps and tanks. I lump them all together cuz they are basically the same, but with different/new maps, missions, weapons and vehicles.

Of course, Battlefield: Vietnam is based on Vietnam war. One cool extra feature for this version is when you get into a vehicle, you can turn on the radio and listen to your favourite Vietnam War era songs. Examples: Hush by Deep Purple, Fortunate Son by Creedance Clearwater Revival, War by Edwinn Star, Get Ready by Rare Earth and many more.

Used to spent a lot of time duking it out with friends at the cyber cafe. Aahhh, good times.

4) Scary games: Silent Hill series, Resident Evil series, Forbidden Siren and Fatal Frame series.

I know you've mentioned that you don't want scary games in your blog. But just in case you are in the mood to scare yourself.

I highly recommend Silent Hill series. I've only played the first Silent Hill game around a year ago on my Playstation. Yeah, I know I'm slow. The graphics' showing its age but the atmosphere is really freaky. Better than most horror movies.

It's the only game my dad sit around to watch me play and even asked me about the storyline. LOL! The first time I play it, I couldn't get myself to sleep. Not scared lah, but very creepy. Heheh, that will surely put you off already I guess... XD

Oh, Doom is not a scary game lah!! So's Lands of Lore XD! If you think those are scary, better not try the ones I've just recommended. Might get traumatised... :P

5) Platform games.

Used to be my speciality. Try Metal Slug series. Run, jump around and shoot Nazi looking soldiers. Sprites are cute and funny.

6) Fighting games.

"You must beat Shenlong before you can beat me!" One of my top fav genre.

Tekken 5 looks to have really good looking graphics. Just came out for PS2 and other consoles.

Dead Or Alive series (consoles only, I think?): Boing boing boing!... Ehh, wait,
you're a girl :P

What happened to the King of Fighters and Street Fighter series ah?....

I think that's all. That's what I can think of at the moment anyway. Ever since started working, too lazy to play games which requires alot of thinking. For screen shots, I'm sure you can find em at Gamespot.com. Lazy to steal.

Anyone else have recommendations, please feel free to add your 2 cents. 1 cent also can lah.

Okay lah. After your exam only think of games lah.

5 Comments:

Blogger Applegal said...

WOW! A whole post for me, thanks!! :D

Oh, would you believe somebody actually pushed into my hands a free Ragnarok CD at the AXN Anime Fest 2003? ;) I didn't play it, my sis did. I didn't want to get addicted to it, so didn't play :P YA lor, need to pay, haiii. And yes, I've heard my best friend complaining about the beggars, she usually goes: "Go get it yourself!!"

I actually played Autotheft at a friend's house, I make a lousy hooligan :P

I've heard of Battlefield, saw it on TechTV, looks good, if you're into war games. . . But the radio thing sounds very cool :D

DOWAN scary games, but yes, looking forward to Tekken 5, apa ni Dead or Alive???

Exams tonight, last paper, woo hoo! Then after that it's party time!!! XD

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kawa said...

apple: Ooh, you went to AXN Anime Fest 2003 too huh? Yeah, I got the CDs too. That was still during the beta free phase. I got few for some friends to play together but they are not into it. The CDs are obsolete now.

Give Battlefield a try! Also another game best played with friends. Some vehicles, would have gunner stations, so you or your friend can watch each other's back.

Never heard of Dead or Alive?: http://www.tecmo.co.jp/product/doa/

The infamous fighting game with the boob bouncing physics. Has a number of female characters. So, there. :)

All the best and good luck!!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Applegal said...

The graphics for Dead or Alive looks damn good =D

Yeah! I was there! Was so bloody crowded, and I expected to see a lot more things :( I was expecting big screens with anime, merchandise tapi tak ada leh :P

1:20 PM  
Blogger Kawa said...

There's another Beach Volley game called DOA: Extreme Beach Volley. Featuring the girls of DOA...playing beach volley. -__-" So far for XBox only.

Yalah, AXN Anime Fest sucks lah! Comic Fiesta was better.

2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to correct you on 1 thing....you really dont have to play, just use a free server like PSIblade and stuff.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home